Samsung kicked off its official press event in IFA Berlin today, and it's all about curves and high resolution.
The headlining entry is a 105-inch bendable UHD TV, but Samsung also showcased its S9W 105-inch curved UHD with 21:9 aspect ratio and positive news on the UHD content front.
Exactly 365 days ago, Samsung debuted its first curved TV. Thanks to positive consumer response, Samsung now has more curved TVs on the market than any other manufacturer. Still, debate remains as to whether curves actually improve the image quality.
With Samsung's new 105-inch bendable UHD television, users can have both. A press of a key bends and flattens the panel, while its 21:9 aspect ratio mimics that of a movie theater.
The company's non-bendy 105-inch curved UHD TV is called the S9W, and it's nothing we haven't seen before.
In response to widespread complaints over a lack of native UHD content, Samsung also highlighted the progress of UHD streaming by entities like Amazon and Netflix—he latter is even expanding UHD streaming services to Austria, Germany, and France.
Mike Dunn, President of 20th Century Fox, also took the stage to ensure his company's commitment to UHD content growth. In fact, he promised that next summer's 20th Century Fox films will be available to consumers in UHD resolution.
Samsung also took this moment to announce its 500GB UHD Video pack for transferring and downloading UHD content. A new standard called SCSA is prepared to handle the high-quality content, making it easier to share UHD content from device to device.
Check out all of Samsung's IFA 2014 Announcements:
- Samsung Unpacks New Note Phones, Co-Branded Oculus VR Headset
- Samsung Demos Upscale Appliances, Elena Arzak Joins Club des Chefs
- Slim, Ruggedized Samsung Tab Active Debuts at IFA Berlin
- Samsung's New Robot Vacuum Is Your Most Humble Servant
- Samsung Flexes at IFA With a 105-inch Bendable UHD TV
- Samsung Outs a Curved Sound Bar to Match Its Curved TVs
- Samsung Adds Third-Party Support, Voice Control to Smart Home System
- Samsung UHD TVs Will Soon Stream Amazon's 4K Content
- Samsung Announces Its First 3G Smartwatch: The Gear S
- Samsung Adds Swarovski Band to Otherwise Tasteful Gear S
Editor's note: Updated since 09/07/2014 with hands-on photos.
Be in the know! Get Reviewed.com news and reviews straight to your inbox.
Thanks for signing up!