Today in Berlin, Samsung doubled down once again on its vision of home entertainment. Hint: It's curved.
Since 2013, the debate over curved versus flat TVs has raged in the hallowed halls of the AV geeks: Is it more immersive or does it detract from picture quality? Is it a breakthrough or a gimmick?
Now, Samsung is asking a different question: Why not have it both ways?
The company's new 105-inch bendable UHD TV—the largest of its kind—goes from curved to flat at the touch of a button. It's not a completely novel concept, as the 105-inch big boy follows on the heels of an 85-inch bendable TV from CES 2014. However, the new model sports a 21:9 ultrawide aspect ratio that could make it the ideal set for cinema lovers.
Samsung hasn't revealed pricing or availability at this time, but here's some context: The permanently curved Samsung 105-inch ultrawide 5K television costs a cool $120,000. The new bendable model has lower 4K resolution, but the cost could be even higher given the mechanical and material innovations required to build it.
The new TV will curve at 4200R, or the curve of a circle with a radius of 4.2 meters. According to Samsung QA Engineer David Jung, this positions all parts of the screen at an equal distance from the viewer's eye.
This release serves to further confirm Samsung's commitment to curved display technology, a position already reinforced by yesterday's announcement of the Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. In total, the new TV puts Samsung's curved display count at 17 models for the European market.
Check out all of Samsung's IFA 2014 Announcements:
- Samsung Unpacks New Note Phones, Co-Branded Oculus VR Headset
- Samsung's New TVs Are All About the Curves
- Samsung Demos Upscale Appliances, Elena Arzak Joins Club des Chefs
- Slim, Ruggedized Samsung Tab Active Debuts at IFA Berlin
- Samsung's New Robot Vacuum Is Your Most Humble Servant
- Samsung Outs a Curved Sound Bar to Match Its Curved TVs
- Samsung Adds Third-Party Support, Voice Control to Smart Home System
- Samsung UHD TVs Will Soon Stream Amazon's 4K Content
- Samsung Announces Its First 3G Smartwatch: The Gear S
- Samsung Adds Swarovski Band to Otherwise Tasteful Gear S
Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
Get Our Newsletter
Real advice from real experts. Sign up for our newsletter
Thanks for signing up!