Samsung UHD TVs Will Soon Stream Amazon's 4K Content
One step closer to UHD utopia
Amazon Instant Video will soon begin streaming in 4K resolution on all Samsung ultra-high-definition TVs, bringing the next evolution in TV tech one step closer to the mainstream.
Samsung announced this week that all Amazon UHD content will be "globally" available for 4K streaming starting this October, exclusively through the Amazon Instant Video app on Samsung UHD TVs.
Amazon hasn’t yet disclosed plans to stream 4K content on other manufacturers’ sets, but it’s safe to assume that the exclusivity is only temporary. If Korean and Japanese manufacturers have their way, 4K will soon supplant 720p and 1080p HD content as the de facto standard, and that means Amazon will want its content on as many TVs as possible.
Related: The Ultimate Guide to UHD TV
In a statement, Samsung points out that this deal adds to a host of 4K video already available through the Smart Hub platform on its UHD TVs. That includes Netflix 4K streaming, which was added in April, and other deals with Comcast and DirecTV. Rival TV makers like Sony, LG, and Vizio have been busy signing agreements of their own.
“The era of UHD has begun, and to continue even more widespread adoption, it is important to provide consumers with more choices when it comes to UHD content,” said Won Jin Lee, executive VP of Samsung’s display division.
Thursday’s announcement also highlighted plans to expand UHD streaming to European content providers, including maxdome, CHILI, Wuaki.tv, and Netflix Europe.
But as more and more content producers adopt 4K technology, it's not only TV makers and streaming services who are responsible for delivering the video in the best possible resolution. Without reliably high bandwidth from ISPs and cable providers, all the 4K content and UHD TVs in the world won't do anyone any good.
Unfortunately, as the recent debate over net neutrality and internet "fast lanes" has illustrated, that’s a much more complicated issue—one that’s likely to frustrate consumers in the near term.
Check out all of Samsung's IFA 2014 Announcements:
- Samsung Unpacks New Note Phones, Co-Branded Oculus VR Headset
- Samsung's New TVs Are All About the Curves
- Samsung Demos Upscale Appliances, Elena Arzak Joins Club des Chefs
- Slim, Ruggedized Samsung Tab Active Debuts at IFA Berlin
- Samsung's New Robot Vacuum Is Your Most Humble Servant
- Samsung Flexes at IFA With a 105-inch Bendable UHD TV
- Samsung Outs a Curved Sound Bar to Match Its Curved TVs
- Samsung Adds Third-Party Support, Voice Control to Smart Home System
- Samsung Announces Its First 3G Smartwatch: The Gear S
- Samsung Adds Swarovski Band to Otherwise Tasteful Gear S
Be in the know! Get Reviewed.com news and reviews straight to your inbox.
Thanks for signing up!